Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Dec18



I am currently car pooling with 2 other Americans. After the thanks giving weekend, one of them asked me if I celebrated it by having turkey. I replied that I celebrated by going out and not having turkey as I am a vegetarian :-)

One of them asked me on why am I a vegetarian? I said that it is the practice for generations together. The topic shifted and he asked me if it is true that I have thousands of Gods in my religion. I answered affirmatively. He, being a staunch believer of another religion, was asking me if there is not one God, then why am I worshipping so many? I wanted to give a concise reply to him as our station was just a few minutes away. I said that my religion is closely integrated with Nature. We see every object as a personification of God. The sun, fire, water, earth, sky, rain, moon and even every star is given importance. We also see God in various relationship as a mother, father, teacher, son, etc. Hence,it is of no wonder that we indeed have so many forms. Our topic of discussion ended as we reached our station.

I started to think more about the explanation given by me. What I said about closeness to Nature, is really true about my religion. We indeed had a "Bhoomi-Pooja" before starting the construction of our home. I do know that we have special prayers during Pongal, which my dad insists doing in the open area so that we can pray directly under sun. We pray the nature (sun/rain/earth) for a good harvest for the farmers and a year without any flood/famine for the welfare of everyone in the world. Most of the pooja is being done with the special mention of our birth star. I do know my friends who have prayers to a tree during the special month. Even, my sis also offered special prayers to God (upon the insidtence of my mother), when she had to kill the 3 snakes in our garden.

But, I find myself cribbing when I hear a bollywood actress marry a tree to remove the influence of her stars. I even read a few blogs condemning the act. Some of them, whom I know are quite religious. Infact, to the American with whom I was explaining about my religion, will not my actions look similar to the bollywood actress when I say I pray sun or I consider Peepul tree to be sacred? Then, Why am I cribbing so much about the actress' belief? It is her belief that such an act is going to help her hubby live longer. Do I really have the right to do it?

I am confused !!

2 Comments:

Blogger Vidhya Rajesh said...

hmmmm quite a valid thought. You know I always have wondered about this - what is "right" for me - just how much "right" it is for the opposite person. One can never measure/confirm it i think - it all lies in perception and our own belief ...

18 December, 2007 23:46  
Blogger Subha Srini said...

Very true Vidhya. I was wondering if I am taking double standards while cribbing about the actress' act. It is her perception and belief. Why or rather who are we to comment on her belief?

19 December, 2007 23:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home